Hey Sophie - tell us a bit about yourself: What do you do, how old are your children and what happens with your kids when you are at work?
I'm Group Head of Corporate Communications for Centrica plc which, through its British Gas brand, is the UK's leading energy supplier. A Swedish au pair looks after my two children - Issy (10) and Charlie (8).
1. ONE WORD TO DESCRIBE HOW BEING A WOMO MAKES YOU FEEL?
2. WHAT’S THE FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD JUGGLING KIDS AND WORK?
My daughter asking if my CEO, Iain, was my boyfriend as I’m always on the phone to him (according to my daughter).
3. WHAT IS THE ONE PIECE OF ADVICE YOU COULD OFFER ANOTHER WOMO?
Only do it if it makes you feel alive.
4. WHAT’S THE LEAST AMOUNT OF SLEEP YOU’VE GONE TO WORK ON AND HOW DID YOU COPE?
Less than 3 hours. Buzzing with energy when I first got in. On an adrenaline high. But by 4pm utterly shattered.
5. WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED ABOUT YOURSELF AS A WOMO?
I’m a better mother having a job. I am more patient with my children and less of an alpha mum. I don’t need to live vicariously through my children.
6. IF YOU HAD A WORKING MOTHER’S ANTHEM OR MANTRA, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
You can have it all – but not at the same time.
7. WHAT IS YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE TO COMBAT WOMO GUILT THE BEST?
8. WOULD YOU RATHER BE DEALING WITH A TANTRUM OR PRESENTING IN A BOARD MEETING?
Presenting to a board meeting, any day.
9. IF YOU ASKED YOUR CHILD / CHILDREN WHAT YOUR JOB IS, WHAT WOULD THEY SAY (EXACT QUOTATION IF POSSIBLE)?
“My mum does an important job. She helps keep the lights on."
10. WHAT’S THE ONE THING YOU WISH YOU’D KNOWN BEFORE YOU BECAME A WOMO?
How to select the right au pair.
11. TO DATE, WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BEST WOMO ACHIEVEMENT?
Making birthday cupcakes for my daughter’s class which looked pretty good, whilst doing a conference call.
12. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO TEACH YOUR KIDS ABOUT WORKING MOTHERS?
You don’t have to be a stay at home mum to be a good one.
Big thanks to Sophie - our featured WoMo this week.