Hey Rachel - tell us a bit about yourself: What do you do, how old are your children and what happens with your kids when you are at work?
As Director of Motion Learning, I'm a Workplace Coach and Learning Professional. 2 children aged 2 and 3. When I’m working they are in a mixed day of childminders, breakfast club, school day and after school club…!
1. One word to describe how being a WoMo makes you feel?
2. What’s the funniest experience you have had juggling kids and work?
Pumping milk in First Aid rooms in the middle of day-long meetings and getting the hotel to stick it in the staff fridge overnight.
3. What is the one piece of advice you could offer another WoMo?
Be kind to yourself.
4. What’s the least amount of sleep you’ve gone to work on and how did you cope?
45 mins. Adrenalin and nervous energy. It was the first day I’d left my 6 week old baby and I was away with clients for 3 days. I was still breast feeding a baby who needed to be woken every 2 hours as he was ‘under weight’.
5. What have you learned about yourself as a WoMo?
I have an amazing partner who helps make everything possible.
6. If you had a WoMo anthem or mantra, what would it be?
‘What am I doing right now- not next, or tomorrow – but RIGHT NOW’ and focus on the present activity.
7. What is your guilty pleasure to combat WoMo guilt the best?
Wine and friends – preferably together.
8. Would you rather be dealing with a tantrum or presenting in a board meeting?
Presenting – definitely. Although I find tantrums entertaining mostly.
9. If you asked your child / children what your job is, what would they say (exact quotation if possible)?
She’s a bit like a teacher – but unlike daddy she doesn’t have a school.
10. What’s the one thing you wish you’d known before you became a WoMo?
That ‘down time’ is precious and you really must enjoy it while your life permits space for it.
11. To date, what has been your best WoMo achievement?
Maintaining my business whilst bringing up two amazing children.
12. What do you want to teach your kids about working mothers?
That we rock and it’s essential to have high expectations of yourself.
Big thanks to Rachel - our featured WoMo, and thanks to author Clare Bennett for providing our 12 "Meet the WoMos" interview questions.